jueves, 21 de abril de 2016

So used to it


It's surprising how used you get to certain things. The other day I was talking about my trip to Angola, in relation to the anniversary of the "peace treat" signed, 14 years. No phone, no wifi at the hotel, connectivity at the internet cafe. I spent three weeks there and talked to my family twice, over Skype, from an "internet cafe" that... well, not a place I would enter in many situations.

And today, when I was in Beijing, at the airport lounge, I directly assumed that there was internet access (free) at the airport. There is, in fact, and getting a code is impossible unless you get it at the lounge (three easy steps: 1.Scan you passport, 2.Confirm your data and account, 3.Print the code with a big disclaimer about the responsible use of internet access behing the Great Firewall).

Playing "Everybody wants some", Van Halen


From Beijing I was willing to write to Chule, to send a picture, to send a few kisses electronically through iMessage so she feels how much I miss her, how I think of her (and the kids) at any time. But then I landed in Rome and I get out of the Great Firewall. And I received few messages and a couple of calls about reorganization at work, big reorg. And directly I checked for free wifi, access to internet and always connected, I read, replied, posted (being behind the Great Firewall of China is noticeably blocking), got in the flow again.

Playing "Lying in the State", Megadeth